150 replies to this topic

#41 typeronin

typeronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Trying to pick a new bag for my X-T1. My Kelly Moore Thirst Relief bag is falling apart and also a little too big for a mirrorless system, I think. I currently only have the X-T1 and a 35mm F1.4 but I plan on having a 16 and 56 as part of this kit as well so something that fits this comfortably. Some of the contenders are the Ona Prince Street if I want to go expensive or the Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 30i if I want to go cheap.

But...I'd like to look for a high quality bag from another maker. I looked at smaller companies like Wotancraft as well. There are tons of bags from small shops in Europe and Japan that look great but I haven't found one that looks and fits the way I want yet.

#42 sgmcenroe

sgmcenroe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:45 AM

typeronin - A great small bag for an XT-1 and 2-3 lenses and other basic necessities is the ThinkTank Retrospective.  Besides my Thinktank backpack (above), I have the Retrospective 7 which would fit you needs perfectly.  It will also fit an iPad.  A little smaller version, the Retrospective 5 might fill your needs as well.  http://www.thinktank...-pinestone.aspx

#43 typeronin

typeronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

Not bad but I'm not a fan of the look of the Retrospective line. I'm looking for something that looks like the Ona but...not the Ona, if you get what I mean.

• Ade likes this

#44 Antony

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTamworth, NSW, Australia

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

My favourite camera bag is the ONA Prince St messenger bag in dark truffle leather - it's luxurious and a real pleasure to carry around. That said it is for my carry everywhere X100T, and it wouldn't hold mush more than a very basic system (eg. one body, 2-3 lenses).

My preferred bag for work is the Thinktank Airport Airstream. It's international carry on sized (meaning I can use it in Australia), and it carries a lot of stuff. Here you see it setup to carry my gear, and here's what's inside (clockwise from the top):

4 x X-T1 (2 with battery grips)
Nikon 35mm f/2 under a 50mm f/1.8 on a Kipon tilt adapter.
10-24mm f/4
50-140mm f/2.8
18-55mm f/2.8-4
56mm f/1.2
23mm f/1.4
35mm f/1.4 on top of stacked 11mm and 16mm extension rings
16-55mm f/2.8
Nissin i40 flash unit with spare batteries and diffuser
Rokinon 12mm f/2
Vello off camera flash cable

Then in the lid I've numerous small accessories/tools etc as well as 8 x W126 batteries and a card pouch.

One day I need to lay it all out next to the body so it can be truly appreciated!

Attached Files

• Kabo likes this
Professional wedding and commercial photographer from Tamworth, NSW, Australia.
www.chasingsummerphoto.com

#45 Kabo

Kabo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:06 AM

My favourite camera bag is the ONA Prince St messenger bag in dark truffle leather - it's luxurious and a real pleasure to carry around. That said it is for my carry everywhere X100T, and it wouldn't hold mush more than a very basic system (eg. one body, 2-3 lenses)...l

Hi Antony,
quick question about the Prince St - can you fit A4 paper in there? I need a bag for work plus camera and often need to transport small piles of A4 printouts...would be great if the fit in the Prince St without having to fold them in half or upgrading to the Brixton.

#46 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

My Jill.E model Jack ( messenger, size large) has a very large compartment fit for a 15” laptop which would be able to carry a lot of A4 paper or a laptop and some paper.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#47 Antony

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTamworth, NSW, Australia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hi Antony,
quick question about the Prince St - can you fit A4 paper in there? I need a bag for work plus camera and often need to transport small piles of A4 printouts...would be great if the fit in the Prince St without having to fold them in half or upgrading to the Brixton.

You can "just" fit A4 paper in there if you move the divider so it attaches to the side walls and not the back seam. That said, a folder that added even 1cm would make the bag too small. I wouldn't recommend this bag if you needed to carry A4 paper.
  • Kabo likes this
Professional wedding and commercial photographer from Tamworth, NSW, Australia.
www.chasingsummerphoto.com

#48 Kabo

Kabo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Antony and Milandro! The Jill.E is too bulky for my taste...and thanks for testing it out Antony! Been looking for this answer for ages (without access to a good camera shop here in Canberra). Might have to go the Braxton after all :)

#49 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

they have a smaller one but not with a laptop compartment (I think?)

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#50 mkay

mkay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

is there something like the domke f-803 but in leather? i like the relative small width and the size. but the design is a bit to bland for my taste.

• CRAusmus likes this

#51 CRAusmus

CRAusmus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationGeorgia or Texas...Pick one...

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

is there something like the domke f-803 but in leather? i like the relative small width and the size. but the design is a bit to bland for my taste.

Ona Bowery.  I have this bag and it holds me X-T1 with 35, as well as my 18-55 and my 55-200 plus batteries, extra cards, lens cloths etc...

It's also available in leather.

• Curiojo likes this
--Clinton
X70  •  X-Pro1  •  X-T1  •  14  •  27  •  35  •  60  •  55-200
InstagramFlickr

#52 ianpiper

ianpiper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

I've used a Biliingham Hadley Pro for my kit for a few years, and it still looks like new. I always have the following in it:

• X-T1 body
  • X100
  • 35mm f1.4
  • 18mm f2
  • 55-200mm zoom
  • 7.5mm Samyang fisheye
  • EF-20 flash
  • 3 spare X-T1 batteries, 3 spare X100 batteries
  • A few spare SD cards
  • Cleaning kit
  • MCEX-16 extension ring
  • Spare Arca Swiss plate

If I need computing power too I can also fit in an iPad mini in the rear zip compartment and a MacBook Air 11" in the gap at the back of the main bag. When I want to carry Lee 7five filters I clip an Avea 5 bag on the end. 

The Billingham bags are phenomenal.

#53 ianpiper

ianpiper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

Trying to pick a new bag for my X-T1. My Kelly Moore Thirst Relief bag is falling apart and also a little too big for a mirrorless system, I think. I currently only have the X-T1 and a 35mm F1.4 but I plan on having a 16 and 56 as part of this kit as well so something that fits this comfortably. Some of the contenders are the Ona Prince Street if I want to go expensive or the Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 30i if I want to go cheap.

But...I'd like to look for a high quality bag from another maker. I looked at smaller companies like Wotancraft as well. There are tons of bags from small shops in Europe and Japan that look great but I haven't found one that looks and fits the way I want yet.

Have you looked at the Millican bags? There is a model that has Fuji branding:

http://www.homeofmil...camera-bag.html

I don't have one myself (I use a Billingham Hadley Pro) but I've handled one in a shop and it seems really good quality. If I lost my bag I'd consider one.

Ian.

--

#54 Pierre

Pierre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLyon (France)

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

I have two camera bags :

ONA The Berlin II in black. I put X-T1 + 16-55 + 50-140 + iPad mini + many accessories in it. My everyday bag.

150613071754439279.jpg

Bilingham Hadley Pro Burgundy. I put my X-T1 + 16-55 + 50-140 + iPad mini + Dell XPS 13 + chargers + flash + many many accessories in it. It's my travel bag.

150624074614927442.jpg

• CRAusmus and Curiojo like this

Fuji X-T2 + 16-55 f2.8 + Samyang 12 f2

#55 aceflibble

aceflibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:42 AM

Billingham Hadley Large for me, and a Lowepro Pro Roller X200 for big jobs.
The Billingham fits:
A Mamiya RZ67 Pro II D medium format body, three backs and two portrait lenses.
A Canon 1D X, one spare battery, three portrait lenses, two flashguns and a trigger.
A Canon 7D mark II, three spare batteries, one wildlife lens, a thermos of tea and a sandwich.
A Fuji X-T1, an X-T10 and an X100S, one spare battery for each, general purpose three lens set, two flashguns and a trigger.
In addition to any of the above, one pocket always has general cleaning tools, a ColourChecker Passport, spare AA and AAA batteries, spare memory cards and a couple of varieties of USB and FireWire cable.

The Lowepro is for when I want to take two sets of those kits (e.g. Mamiya + Fuji) as well as either up to six flashguns or two continuous lights, or if I'm spending one night away. (More than one night does require packing a second bag, you can't fit a decent suitcase worth of clothes into the Lowepro.)

I will say that, though the Hadley Large does a good job of holding any of my typical kits, it's not exactly comfortable to carry. The shoulder pad—which they have the nerve to not include as standard—is still really rigid and the bag doesn't hang in a way which is comfortable. Nothing else will fit everything, though! The Mamiya's what really does it. Just too damn big and too square to fit in anything else. When Fuji release a 70mm f/2 and a body with a resolution over 30mp, I can finally sell that monster and get a smaller bag, properly downsize. Doesn't look like that will be for many years, though.

#56 Kasrielle

Kasrielle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

I had a Retrospective 7 but I found it too stiff.  Right now I'm using a TT Mirrorless Mover 30i, and it fits what I need, but I don't really like shoulder bags, so I'm still looking.  I'm torn between the fstop Brooklyn sling and the TT Turnstyle 5 or 10.  The 5 would fit my current kit (XT1, 18-55, and 55-200) but next year I plan on adding the 100-400 and the 120 macro (if I can find the $), and I'm a bit concerned the 5 won't be big enough.  I dont' live anywhere to see the bags before buying online, so I'm reliant on you tube reviews and advice from others. 

Does anyone have experience with either of these bags?  

#57 NorAndFey

NorAndFey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

ThinkTank Retrospective 7.

Plenty of room for my two bodys with lenses mounted, a third lens and all the accessories that I need. And my tablet. Can also take a fourth lens.

X-T2, X100F
XF 10-24mm f/4 OIS, XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS WR, XF 56mm f/1.2, WCL-X100
flickr

#58 Lumens

Lumens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

I picked up the Tenba Messenger Mini.  Holds my Xt1 with three lenses (18-55, 55-200, and open space for the 100-400 when it appears :) ) and all my other equipment (including extension tubes) along with my 11" Mac Book Air, mouse and charger.  This allows me to carry all I need in one compact case.  What I enjoy the most is the direct access to camera through the zipper on the top, much easier than having to open the entire bag to get to the camera.

• sgmcenroe likes this

#59 darknj

darknj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

I prefer to have a lighter every day bag and use a camera bag only when traveling abroad.

In that respect my go to bag a cheap innocent looking Fossil Wagner Mens City Bag. It's small enough but I can still carry with me:

- X-T1

- 27mm F2.8

- 35mm F1.4

- 18-135mm F3.5-5.6

- 3 batteries + Traveler friendly charger with micro USB cable

- BlackRapid Metro strap

- A pocket WiFi (turns 3g into WiFi for non 3G devices)

- Nexus 7 2013 ed.

- Kindle Paperwhite

- 30cm x 30cm micro fiber cleaning cloth

- Lens cleaning kit (cloth, brush, small bottle of cleaning liquid)

- Couple of pens

- A small 20L foldable bag for just in case I would need to do groceries

Had to steal some of the paddings from my camera bag but I am quite happy with this set-up at the moment.

Attached Files

• CRAusmus and Curiojo like this

#60 typeronin

typeronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

I've sort of come to the conclusion, after extensive research...that there is no better camera bag for me than the Ona Prince Street. And I'm sort of disappointed because I don't really want to buy it. Don't get me wrong...I really want one because they're great bags but it's expensive and it still isn't the "perfect" bag. There aren't very many bells and whistles and did I mention it's expensive?

This is because I can't find another camera bag in that size, that looks that good, and is built from the ground up as a camera bag. I've looked a few others like Wotancraft, Zkin, Copper River, etc but most of them are more expensive (I can get Ona's with my employee discount, actually...and being Canadian, the 1:1.3 to the US dollar doesn't help).

The Prince Street is my ideal size at 12x10x4.5 and unlike a lot of other bags I looked at, they aren't just pretty bags with a camera insert in them. They're made to be camera bags. This disqualified a lot of brands like Copper River, Artisan and Artist, and lots more. Wotancraft makes some of the best quality inserts I've seen but since the Scout is $299, I might as well get a Ona Prince Street in dark truffle since it's pretty much the same price.

Dammit...I wanted to buy something more unique but I just can't find a better bag than the Ona. Seriously, I've looked everywhere. Oberwerth is twice as expensive and not as good looking, for example.

• CRAusmus likes this

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close