Worrisome smudge on XPro-1 LCD screen

Drake

There is a smudge that looks like water or oil on the interior of my LCD screen. Not sure, but it seems to be getting larger.

Doesn't really affect the operation, but it is worrisome.  

Anyone have any ideas / experience with this?  Is there a fix that doesn't require sending camera to Fuji?

Thanks for taking a look.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think you might have “ protected” your screen at some stage with a screen protector which is now just coming loose or touching the LCD screen underneath just in the middle while not at the edges.

If that is the case just carefully detach it and reattach the same screen ( maybe warm it up) or get a new one.

From the picture, it really looks like there is a screen on it especially on the bottom right section where I can see a little white dot indicating that there is not making very good contact.

It might be very thin.Try carefully to feel with your nail if there is a “ step” there.

Anyway.

There will probably be some protection even on the standard screen anyway and it has come lose.

Once the screen is lit it shouldn’t show, I thin, in that case, there is nothing to worry.

To me it's look like a screen protector too, I'm using Larmor protectors, they are made of very thin glass. On this site you'll see some pictures of the static attraction of the glass which looks almost the same as on you camera. http://www.larmor-usa.com

But before pulling anything of, go to a camerashop and compare yours with an other one. Or maybe someone here kan take the same picture of their X-Pro1?

By the looks of it (and compared to the X-T1 that I have in front of me), it's definitely a screen protector. Quite a thick one, and probably stiff too. If I were you, I would've just removed it using a thin blade (x-acto should do just fine), trying not to bend this "glass" too much in the process (in case if it's fragile). But I'm not you, so you'll have to make your own choice. Or not – judging by the photo, if you keep procrastinating, it will fall off on its own  B)

Trenton - I have tried an x-acto knife and can't get any leverage.  Maybe I'm not holding my tongue right. I will admit that the idea that there is a protector in place makes the most sense. I'll just bide my time - it doesn't really affect anything at this point. 

Trenton - I have tried an x-acto knife and can't get any leverage.  Maybe I'm not holding my tongue right. I will admit that the idea that there is a protector in place makes the most sense. I'll just bide my time - it doesn't really affect anything at this point. 

I can certainly do it with X-Acto – but yes, there are more appropriate blades for this, like a Havalon for example, or any thin and flat fillet/skinning blade, preferably with a Scandi or chisel grind (you want to keep the knife flat to the actual screen). There's no question if this is a screen protector – it is; the only question is, how's this thing attached? Is it a sticker, a vacuum seal, or they just glued this thing on?…

That strikes me also as definitely a Screen Protector and seeing as it was purchased used it has likely been there a long time.  This gives two resolutions:

1. Don't worry about it and just live with it.

2. Remove it 

Option two is likely the most desirable but also questionable in the area of how much force can be applied to get it off without causing damage?  

Trenton makes some good suggestions for trying to physically separate it from the actual LCD, but again there is the worry of damaging the LCD.   Some chemical solutions might work as well such as denatured alcohol, but again we want to affect only the protector glue and not the camera so caution is mandatory here.  It looks like it is separating from the middle already causing the smudge so perhaps time will allow for it to come completely loose.

Good Luck with this,  Personally I like the protectors, but as I apply them I have this same scenario going around in the back off my head.  Will I be able to remove it if I want?

Whereas a blade can damage the LCD screen underneath its protector, I think it is possible to use a thin wire to do this.

Such wires are occasionally provided with glass screen replacement exactly to safely separate things like telephone screen protectors.

It’s actually cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Fused-Replacement-including-Microfiber-Instruction/dp/B00D5P2W4Y

Thanks for all the input. Yes, it must be a screen protector - thank you especially Burb. 

And after thinking about it, I'm not surprised the previous owner applied one of these. The camera was barely used and tricked out in every other regard. Immaculate actually. 

The smudge cannot be seen when the screen is live. I am concerned with possibly scratching the LCD. Need to get some fishing line.

I will update if I successfully remove the thing.  Again, thanks, for the responses.