Fuji "Pro" Repair Center is a Letdown

SOSKIphoto

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also disappointed in the Fujifilm official repair location in Edison NJ.  I sent a 18-135 lens to them because it had been dropped and I suspected problems with it.  It was 10 days before I received anything from them and it came in the US Postal Service mail!  What?  I gave them my email address on the repair slip I sent with the camera.  Who does business today via the USPS?  And, they wanted $345.75 before they would even check the lens.  What if I was just cautious and there wasn't anything wrong with it?  What if they only needed to quickly bench test the lens to confirm this?

It just seem all too impersonal and disappointing.  Not to mention expensive.  Are they really that busy that they can't have a bit more personal service like was mentioned by a poster about Canon?  Granted he was referring to Canon's CPS system which is for really hard core Canon users, but more and more people are moving to Fujifilm as their professional shooting system.

I've been an X-T1 owner for about 18 months now and this was an unpleasant surprise.  I hope someone in their management reads these posts.

Little back story, full-time working photographer (editorial and wedding) hoping to make the switch from my Canon system to Fuji after falling in love with the X100t.

I hopped on reliable forums and purchased a mint X-T1 and 56mm f/1.2 to test the waters. Upon unboxing, I found out it had the dreaded squishy D-Pad (as opposed to my awesome rental from Borrow Lenses), and "Light Flare" issue. Original owner wouldn't take it back, so I called up the Pro Repair Center in VA for warranty work.

On the other hand, I have nothing but positive experiences with Fujifilm Camera Repair folks. Turn around has been approximately ten calendar-days with shipping, and I received status communiqué at least three times with each repair. I believe Fujifilm only offers one year warranty (extendable to two years, but pricey) to the original [retail] purchaser that unfortunately does not transfer to secondary purchasers. This is a common practice among most manufacturers; have experienced it personally with Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, and even Leica. With used items, especially camera gear, I purchase an aftermarket warranty; Mack is affordable and fantastic in my opinion.

I do sympathize with you about being "in dark for 3 weeks." 

Where did you send your camera for repair? I'm not aware of any authorised repair center in VA. Fuji USA doesnt have a repair center in VA listed on their website.

Seems VA repair facilities are independent enterprises authorized by Fujifilm Service. I had a few bad pixels on the sensor of my then out-of-warranty X-Pro1. I live in Washington so decided to call Precision Camera Repair in California; they are listed on Fujifilm's support website. I was told by Precision Repair that they [and others like them] only perform limited service, and for pixel remapping I would have to send it to factory repair in NJ. Apparently, Fujifilm does not provide its software-centric diagnostic and service tools to independent enterprises. Anyhow, Fuji repair in NJ charged me ~$125 for servicing the camera and for remapping the pixels. Though I had not asked for, they cleaned the dust out of OVF/EVF and replaced the shutter release button assembly, which was being a bit flimsy. Turnaround time was less than ten calendar-days and the camera felt better to use than when it was brand-new. By the way, this was in 2014.

P.S. Here is the link to all the authorized repair facilities: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportProductContent.do?dbid=670694&prodcat=474573&sscucatid=664278